Nim's Island

A site for readers of the book Nim's Island, by Wendy Orr

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Did I like the Nim's island film?

I keep being asked if I liked the Nim's Island film, and so even though I thought I'd expressed my excitement about it all, I thought it was time to say:
Yes!

I loved the film. The first time I saw it I was too excited and tense about whether or not I'd like it, to even be able to follow it properly, but I still felt that I liked it, and that it worked. I've now seen it 8 times, and it was only the last time that I didn't cry when Nim did.

Are there things I would have done differently? A couple of small details - but I notice that audiences love them. The author isn't always the best person to decide on what works in a film!

And are there changes I liked? Alex's journey to the island, with the helicopter and cruise ship before the small boat,works much better on film. The book's version of her being let off off the cruise ship on her sailing dinghy, would have been quite anti-climactic.

And the one I wish I'd thought of? The zip line! It's so useful, so organic to the island - and so much something that Jack would have invented.

As readers know, in the book, we don't see Alexandra Rover talking to her hero. But it makes absolute sense to me - it's what writers do. We're the kids who never lost our imaginary friends when we grew up.

Most importantly, the total effect is what matters. To me, the plot changes seem slight, because they're logical. What I see is my story brought to life; the characters as I've imagined them, and the essence that I was searching for when I began to write this book.

7 Comments:

Blogger Marcia Gruver said...

Hi, Wendy.

I just finished watching Nim's Island. Got curious about the book and found you here.

What fun to have your novel made into a film! I write historical fiction. In fact I just had the debut of my first book, so I can well imagine how thrilled you must be.

The photos of you with the cast are very cool! Loved the movie, by the way!

Congratulations on your success.

Marcia Gruver

9:44 AM  
Blogger Wendy Orr said...

Thanks! I hope you enjoy the book too - and congratulations on your novel!

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I loved Nim's Island the film. Is there going to be another film in this series. Good job. Rae

10:58 AM  
Blogger Wendy Orr said...

The book's sequel, Nim at Sea, is out there now, so we've got fingers crossed as far as a sequel film!

8:44 PM  
Blogger boatbaby said...

So glad I found this site also in search for info on a possible sequel which my son is begging for. We are a TV free family and we're VERY picky about what books and rare movies we choose for our 4.5 year old son. But we have been SO thrilled with your work. Esp. Mokie & Bik which my son LOVES because we also live on a boat. Thank you!!

2:16 PM  
Blogger boatbaby said...

I am glad I found this site also while looking for info about a possible sequel. We are a TV free family and we are very picky about the books and rare movies we chose for our 4.5 year old son. But we are SO thrilled with your work! Especially Mokie & Bik, which my son adores because we also live on a boat. Thank you and we look forward to reading (and possibly watching) more of your work!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Wendy Orr said...

How lovely to have a boat boy reading Mokie and Bik! Thanks for telling me.

I hope you all enjoy Nim at Sea - and the sequel to Mokie and Bik, (Mokie and Bik Go to Sea) will be out in June.

(I know it sounds like I was running out of ideas for titles, but they were just what worked!)

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home