Nim's Island

A site for readers of the book Nim's Island, by Wendy Orr

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Pumpkin Patch: F.F.W.W.: Nim's Island Again

Tidying up my inbox I came across a link to this home-schooling blog on Nim's Island activities:

..." on top of watching our Prof H videos that go with the Nim classes we'll be:

Open a coconut (with a hammer instead of Jack's Machette), and after eating the meat use the shell for a bowl
Scour the seaside for shells, and check for messages in a bottle (you might have to read the book to understand that one!) -- I may put a message in a bottle in their workboxes
Record the coming and going of the tide
Check their weather stations daily...

To read the rest go to:
(and by the way, I have no idea what the Prof H videos are)

Pumpkin Patch: F.F.W.W.: Nim's Island Again

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi! We borrowed the movie "Nim's Island" from our local library and now my six year old son, who is in Kindergarten and just learning to read and write, really wants to correspond with Nim. While searching for a link, I came across your website, and thought this might be the best place to ask. Is there an e-mail address where he might write to Nim? I thought about creating an email account, but want to be sure such a thing does not already exist. Thank you for your help.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Wendy Orr said...

He can write to Nim at
nim@wendyorr.com

(Of course the Nim that answers will be more from the book, though I don't think there are really any differences in her character between book and movie

1:17 PM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

Just as an FYI - "Prof H" was the teacher of a live class offered at Currclick.com, a homeschool resource. Many of us participated, and had lots of fun exploring your book this past summer. I haven't seen any live classes offered on Nim recently, but there are several printable study guides. My kids had so much fun with it that they are asking for a summer group focused on "Nim at Sea" this year.

Thanks for capturing their imaginations!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Wendy Orr said...

That's wonderful to know! I shall chase up the printable study guides as I keep meaning to compile all these things (except I get distracted by minor details like new book deadlines)

I hope the kids enjoy their Nim at Sea - I'll be interested to hear what you work out!

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to: Wendy
from: Alice
I love your movie Nim's Island! I've seen Nim's actress before, it's the girl who played Anna in my sister's keeper! If you know how to keep in touch with her say I liked My Sister's Keeper. Have you watched it? It's REALLY good. I love the book too. I like it so much, that i even read it 10 times all ready and never got bored! I'm sad that i can't buy Nim's Island. :(. Well at least I've *seen* it. Oh well. I have to go now but if you want my email i can tell you. It's alice.y02@gmail.com. Bye!

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home